The Joy Challenge: Day 5
Welcome to the last day of the Joy Challenge! I purposely released this gift on a Sunday, which is salvation and the church.
Extra credit: Read Psalm 37:1-8.
All of these good gifts we've covered: the seasons, hobbies, beauty, and friends are nothing without the Lord Himself. The gift of salvation is the best gift we could ever have.
Delighting in the Lord can seem pretty intangible, and can be even more difficult if you are harboring bitterness, lack of trust, or if you've ever been spiritually abused. Delighting in the Lord is going to pretty impossible if you haven't submitted every area of your life to His control. Are you single and hating it? He's in control of that. Are you in a relationship that's you know you need to end? He's in control of that. Not sure what's going on at all? He's in control of that too. As you delight yourself in Him and this journey of life He is leading you on, you might not see Him granting your every wish and desire. Instead, you might see your heart changing to be more inline with His wishes and desires.
Here's some pointers to get you going:
- Search your heart and see if there's any areas of your life you haven't submitted to the Lord...or areas you've taken back since you last submitted them. Give these areas to the Lord once again.
- Put your phone away and take notes during a sermon. Use a real bible and journal instead of an app if other apps are too distracting.
- Listen to sermons during the week.
- Talk to God about your struggles regularly, just like He's sitting there in the room with you.
- Schedule a time each day to read His Word.
- Read Christian books by other doctrinally sound men and women.
- Specifically ask the Lord to help you let go of whatever is holding you back from delighting in Him and His church.
- Get involved in a ministry. Not all the ministries: just one, maybe two.
- Make a point of regularly spending time with other believers who lift you up spiritually and encourage you in your walk, without being legalistic.
Write down three ways you can delight in the Lord and in His church this week. Share them with a friend who can help encourage you to do them. And comment below- I'd love to hear what you came up with!
Much love, Maegan